My sweetie has his own "hidden talent" in the kitchen. ;-)
He made tacos for me, a family favorite, from what I reckon from his stories. (This cousin can finish this much and that other cousin can finish more.) An aunt can even make taco shells from fried lumpia wrapper. Now I haven't seen anyone do that but from what Archie says, taco shells are hard to come by in the province so they make improvised shells from lumpia wrappers.
The only thing you need to cook for these tacos is the ground beef. For the other ingredients, except for the cheese and sauces, all you'll need is a chopping board and a good knife, and you're all set.
Archie's Do-It-Yourself Tacos
Taco Shells ~ these can be bought from supermarkets or grocery stores
1/4 kg ground beef
3 medium sized tomatoes
1 small white onion
1 small cabbage
Sweet chili sauce ~ Jufran is a recommended brand ;-)
1/4 clove garlic
1 small red onion
Salt and black pepper
1. Chop the red onion. Crush the garlic and remove
the skins. Saute in a pan.
2. Add the ground beef and cook well. Add salt
and pepper to taste. You can also use half a packet of ginisa
flavor mix (like Aji) that are available in groceries, or a tablespoon of
3. Chop the tomatoes and white onion into small pieces. Chop
the cabbage into short strips.
4. Grate the cheese.
1. In the bottom of each taco shell, put a generous helping of cabbage.
2. Add the cooked ground beef and the grated cheese. Layer with sweet chili sauce and garlic sauce.
3. Add the tomatoes, white onions, and more cheese.
Of course, it's up to you to add more chese or put in less onions, according to your taste. Archie says you can also use salsa, or add some chopped mushrooms on the ground beef if you like. Or, instead of ground beef, you can cook shredded chicken. Enjoy!